Save The Waves to host the “Dirty Wave Challenge”
UPDATE. This competition has been extended until December 20th, 2018.
Global contest to identify and clean the dirtiest surf location
Davenport, Calif., (October 20th, 2018) – Save the Waves Coalition is proud to announce the launch of the Dirty Wave Challenge, a cash prize and a five thousand dollar stewardship fund that will be awarded to the dirtiest and trashiest surf ecosystem identified on the organization’s Endangered Waves App. The challenge opens October 20th 2018 and closes on November 20th 2018.
Launched in early 2018, the new smartphone App empowers surfers and beach goers to monitor the world’s coastlines and surf ecosystems. Winner of best conservation mobile app in the HeroX competition by XPRIZE, the Endangered Waves App is available for iOS and Android devices.
The Dirty Wave Challenge is simple: capture a photo of the dirtiest and trashiest surf ecosystem, upload it to the app, and the winning photo will receive a cash prize and a day of stewardship with Save The Waves and partners to clean it up.
“There are approximately 31 million surfers worldwide, and they are the front line for our coastlines for climate change, trash, sewage and other issues. Imagine if this entire community was mobilized to track and report coastal threats,” said Save The Waves Executive Director, Nik Strong-Cvetich.
The goal is to collect data and mobilize beach goers and the surfing community around the key issues facing our coastlines, with this first challenge focusing on marine debris. Save The Waves Coalition plans to use the photos and data collected to better track and prioritize coastal threats, educate users, and share with coastal agencies and partners to take action worldwide.
“The Dirty Wave Challenge will help us fill the gaps in much needed coastal data and broaden our stewardship reach,” said Strong-Cvetich.
To Enter the Dirty Wave Challenge:
- Download the Endangered Waves Mobile App: www.savethewaves.org/mobileapp
- Using the App, take a picture of a surf ecosystem trashed with garbage, plastic or marine debris and use a common item for scale such as a person, a surfboard, your hand, etc.
- Select the Dirty Wave Challenge entry button, write brief description, select your location, enter email address, and submit.
- Share your submission on social media with the #dirtywavechallenge
- Each participant is only allowed 1 entry per challenge, but please have multiple photos of the issues available to validate entry.
The Dirty Wave Challenge is proudly supported by MJD Interactive, WSL Pure, and XPRIZE.
About Save The Waves Coalition
Save The Waves Coalition protects and preserves the coastal environment with a focus on the surf zone, through a unique combination of protected areas, economics, and direct action. See more at: www.savethewaves.org
Save The Waves Coalition